Heavier7Strings - Thrash Metal Guitar Tone?

MickeyPetra

Heavier7Strings - Thrash Metal Guitar Tone?

Postby MickeyPetra » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Hello,
Since I am not a guitarist, I have very little knowledge of effects and how to combine them to make different tones. I am trying to get a good thrash metal guitar tone - Kind of like Slayer, old school Metallica, Kreator etc. I seem to be unable to find any helpful/worthwhile information on the internet, other than "scoop the mids", which is kind of vague, since (once again I am a noob here so I have no clue) what is the difference between Mid GAIN, and Mid FREQUENCY - which one shall I turn down? also what distortion pedal should I use (Overdrive, Screamer etc.) should I turn down the mids on just the amp or the EQ too? Yeah, so generally I have no idea on how to get a good tone on H7s, for thrash metal. Any help would be much appreciated. Currently I just have an amp and a distortion pedal (from GarageBand) and the tone knob turned pretty much all the way down on H7s' guitar. The current tone I have with this setup sounds very growly (in a bad way) - when shredding and playing tremolos, it sounds kind of like the engine of a Formula one or some fancy race car/bike. I feel so dumb . Anyway, help would be much appreciated and thank you for your time (and patience).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Heavier7Strings - Thrash Metal Guitar Tone?

Postby admin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:34 am

MickeyPetra wrote:Hello,
Since I am not a guitarist, I have very little knowledge of effects and how to combine them to make different tones. I am trying to get a good thrash metal guitar tone - Kind of like Slayer, old school Metallica, Kreator etc. I seem to be unable to find any helpful/worthwhile information on the internet, other than "scoop the mids", which is kind of vague, since (once again I am a noob here so I have no clue) what is the difference between Mid GAIN, and Mid FREQUENCY - which one shall I turn down? also what distortion pedal should I use (Overdrive, Screamer etc.) should I turn down the mids on just the amp or the EQ too? Yeah, so generally I have no idea on how to get a good tone on H7s, for thrash metal. Any help would be much appreciated. Currently I just have an amp and a distortion pedal (from GarageBand) and the tone knob turned pretty much all the way down on H7s' guitar. The current tone I have with this setup sounds very growly (in a bad way) - when shredding and playing tremolos, it sounds kind of like the engine of a Formula one or some fancy race car/bike. I feel so dumb . Anyway, help would be much appreciated and thank you for your time (and patience).

Hi, Mickey,

We do appreciate your support, below is the suggestion, hope it will help you.

The Heavier7Strings has many built-in effect presets and loop presets. You can check the effect presets and browse the loop to find the sound which you need, as below 2 pics.
P2.png
P2.png (409.28 KiB) Viewed 4960 times

P1.png
P1.png (501.48 KiB) Viewed 4960 times

In general, the Bell type of EQ is controlled by three parameters: Frequency, Q, and Gain.
Some of the effects in H7S has Bell type EQ, but only two parameters are provided for the user to adjust. The "freq." knob can help to confirm the frequency point, "Gain" knob to adjust the gain, and the Q value is built-in and does not need to be adjusted by user. So the gain is used to turn down, and "freq." knob is used to confirm where to turn down.
Generally speaking, an EQ insert before amp/overdrive/distortion model is used to adjust the clean signal. As a result, the distorted sound producesed by amp/overdrive will be changed. EQ inserted after amp/overdrive/distortion models is used to adjust the overall tone.

Multiple EQs are linearly and should have no sequences issues if no nolinearly model like compressor/amp/overdrive/distortion.. between them.

You can googling "Guitar Pedal Order" for more info.

PS: If you use garageband, you may not find loop and presets, We sugget that you can try the following operations to fix it:

Please copy "presets", "effect_presets" and "loops" directories, from "/Users/(your name)/Library/ThreeBodyTech/Heavier7Strings" to "/Users/(your name)/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/Data/Library/ThreeBodyTech/Heavier7Strings".
MickeyPetra

Re: Heavier7Strings - Thrash Metal Guitar Tone?

Postby MickeyPetra » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Thank you for your help. Yes I have had a problem with loops and presets not showing up, but I looked at a different post and resolved the issue (I think I did that on the same day I posted this post). I managed to really sort out a lot of problems by using the presets - my general trouble of setting up the effect rack my self literally originated from the fact that I couldn't find them. I don't know much about loops, and I have not yet checked out all sounds of the presets so I may check some more out to find a good sound. Thanks for your help :)

Return to “Questions”