Is Tone the problem?

MickeyPetra

Is Tone the problem?

Postby MickeyPetra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Right, the presets for H7s, I am not sure how to phrase this, but do some of the presets require to turn down the tone knob, so that the sound of the guitar can be heard? You see I have had similar problems before, but when I load the presets, they have drive very high and it almost looks like I need to turn the tone knob down, because It is impossible to hear the guitar sound over the mix - just a hiss. I would like a very distorted, metal sound, but I would like to hear the guitar over the mix, like in every metal song out there. Currently, in my tracks, all one can hear is drums and hissing, I had no idea on how to resolve this - turning the drive down doesn't solve this as when the guitar comes to playing single note riffs, the riffs sound clean, so I crank up the drive, only to have an unbearable hissing deafening the sound when it comes to playing chords. I resulted to turning down the tone knob, and it removed some of the hissing, but also made the guitar go clean on the riff bits :? . So I do not know whether I should keep turning down tone, or turn down the drive (the latter doesn't make sense as otherwise why would the presets have the drive at these levels if they did not sound good). I have generally no clue how to go about this now. Is there some sort of volume control that makes the distorted guitar sound cut through the mix but turns down hiss, whilst keeping the guitar distorted? Currently the hiss is louder than the guitar if that makes sense... please help :!:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is Tone the problem?

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 am

MickeyPetra wrote:Right, the presets for H7s, I am not sure how to phrase this, but do some of the presets require to turn down the tone knob, so that the sound of the guitar can be heard? You see I have had similar problems before, but when I load the presets, they have drive very high and it almost looks like I need to turn the tone knob down, because It is impossible to hear the guitar sound over the mix - just a hiss. I would like a very distorted, metal sound, but I would like to hear the guitar over the mix, like in every metal song out there. Currently, in my tracks, all one can hear is drums and hissing, I had no idea on how to resolve this - turning the drive down doesn't solve this as when the guitar comes to playing single note riffs, the riffs sound clean, so I crank up the drive, only to have an unbearable hissing deafening the sound when it comes to playing chords. I resulted to turning down the tone knob, and it removed some of the hissing, but also made the guitar go clean on the riff bits :? . So I do not know whether I should keep turning down tone, or turn down the drive (the latter doesn't make sense as otherwise why would the presets have the drive at these levels if they did not sound good). I have generally no clue how to go about this now. Is there some sort of volume control that makes the distorted guitar sound cut through the mix but turns down hiss, whilst keeping the guitar distorted? Currently the hiss is louder than the guitar if that makes sense... please help :!:

Hi, Mickey,

Some presets may have more high and low frequencies than we needed in the mix. As H7S is just one plugin of chains, it's very hard to know the best balance by itself. So user may need some compressor or equalizing effects after H7S, or use the EQ and compressor in H7S rack effects. Here are some suggestions:

1. Try to turn down the overdrive or distrotion knob.
2. You could insert a Compressor module before overdrive/distrotion to banlance the volume between single notes and power chords, so that they would get same amount of distrotion.
3. Equalize other tracks, make more "rooms" for bass and mid-frequencies of guitar sounds. If there are too many contents in low and mid frequencies, then you cannot hear guitar sound but only hiss.

Hope this can help you. :)

Return to “Questions”