Issues with lagging, effects, load/save, etc.

gtmellsop

Issues with lagging, effects, load/save, etc.

Postby gtmellsop » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:55 am

I bought Heavier7Strings a few months ago and it has been sufficiently functional up until a few days ago. Basically I can no longer access the 'effects' rack, let alone adjust anything on it. If I try to click on 'effects', not only does nothing happen, but clicking on anything on the main panel afterwards will freeze up my entire DAW (FL Studio) for about 5-10 seconds. I get the same results when trying to click on 'save' or 'load'. I can open the 'settings' menu, but then I can't close it and the same temporary freeze happens. Clicking on any note will play a sustained note even if the sustain pedal is inactive. Every knob I try to adjust will lag.

It's worth noting that I'm having these issues on a nearly-finished project, but not on a newer one that has far less active devices and is therefore less demanding of my computer's resources. However, I disabled every instrument and plugin except for the Heavier7Strings that I'm trying to adjust, making my CPU/RAM usage only a fraction of my newer project and it didn't solve any of these problems.

I've really enjoyed using this product up until now, but I'm a bit hesitant to keep using it knowing that I could have virtually no control over it later on in the process. Can anyone here help me out?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with lagging, effects, load/save, etc.

Postby admin » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:05 am

gtmellsop wrote:I bought Heavier7Strings a few months ago and it has been sufficiently functional up until a few days ago. Basically I can no longer access the 'effects' rack, let alone adjust anything on it. If I try to click on 'effects', not only does nothing happen, but clicking on anything on the main panel afterwards will freeze up my entire DAW (FL Studio) for about 5-10 seconds. I get the same results when trying to click on 'save' or 'load'. I can open the 'settings' menu, but then I can't close it and the same temporary freeze happens. Clicking on any note will play a sustained note even if the sustain pedal is inactive. Every knob I try to adjust will lag.

It's worth noting that I'm having these issues on a nearly-finished project, but not on a newer one that has far less active devices and is therefore less demanding of my computer's resources. However, I disabled every instrument and plugin except for the Heavier7Strings that I'm trying to adjust, making my CPU/RAM usage only a fraction of my newer project and it didn't solve any of these problems.

I've really enjoyed using this product up until now, but I'm a bit hesitant to keep using it knowing that I could have virtually no control over it later on in the process. Can anyone here help me out?

Hi gtmellsop,

Sorry to hear that you met this issue. Could you recall if there were any newly inserted plugins right before the issue happens (which may cause conflict between H7S), and what changes were made on your DAW or system if there is any?
Some information and specification of your system would be very helpful either.

Thank you in advance and we look forward to helping you solve this issue.
gtmellsop

Postby gtmellsop » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 pm

HI there,
Thanks for the reply. I'll start with the system/hardware specs:
Acer Aspire A317-51
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
8GB RAM
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface (Problem persists when using internal laptop speakers)

The only alteration I've made on my DAW settings since buying H7S has been switching my sound driver from ASIO4ALL to FL's built-in ASIO driver. This was done over a month ago. The only other VST that I've started using since buying H7S is one called Thenatan Brass, also about a month ago. Other projects that also use that instrument don't seem to be having these issues and disabling it won't fix my H7S problems. The only 'drastic' thing I've done in the past few days has been adding an instance of Waves' API-2500 compressor to practically every mixer channel. At the time of writing, the entire project file is sitting at around 30% CPU and 200MB memory.

I just added an instance of the standalone HeavierFX plugin to a random mixer channel. I can drag effects onto the rack and adjust knobs, but it still lags in the same manner as H7S. Every instrument and effect on the project except for H7S and HFX is functioning with no issue.

Hopefully this might paint a clearer picture about what's going on. I'd be more than happy to provide some videos too if that helps.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:37 am

gtmellsop wrote:HI there,
Thanks for the reply. I'll start with the system/hardware specs:
Acer Aspire A317-51
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
8GB RAM
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface (Problem persists when using internal laptop speakers)

The only alteration I've made on my DAW settings since buying H7S has been switching my sound driver from ASIO4ALL to FL's built-in ASIO driver. This was done over a month ago. The only other VST that I've started using since buying H7S is one called Thenatan Brass, also about a month ago. Other projects that also use that instrument don't seem to be having these issues and disabling it won't fix my H7S problems. The only 'drastic' thing I've done in the past few days has been adding an instance of Waves' API-2500 compressor to practically every mixer channel. At the time of writing, the entire project file is sitting at around 30% CPU and 200MB memory.

I just added an instance of the standalone HeavierFX plugin to a random mixer channel. I can drag effects onto the rack and adjust knobs, but it still lags in the same manner as H7S. Every instrument and effect on the project except for H7S and HFX is functioning with no issue.

Hopefully this might paint a clearer picture about what's going on. I'd be more than happy to provide some videos too if that helps.

Thank you for providing the information.

Firstly, we recommend to use Focusrite's USB ASIO driver if possible, as FL's built-in driver may cause additional CPU usage.

30% CPU and 200MB memory are high enough to cause laggings, so we assume the compressor added to every channel could be the reason.
Would you please try disabling the compressor and see if the lagging still happens?
gtmellsop

Postby gtmellsop » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:22 am

Thanks for following up. The first time I disabled everything except H7S, that included every compressor as well and it didn't solve it. There is no lag when editing other more 'beefy' plugins while the project is playing back smoothly with no disruption, and this is when I also have 15 Chrome tabs open (I didn't have anything other than FL Studio open when I did the original 'stress test')

But, somehow H7S is working perfectly again! I ran into an error message when I tried to switch to my Focusrite driver as you asked. So, I unplugged my USB interface, deleted the drivers, and plugged it back in. It didn't solve my driver problem, but for some reason it seems to have fixed all of my H7S problems, hopefully forever. Also, the very same project (no alterations at all, everything enabled) is now sitting at about 20% CPU and 100MB RAM instead of 30%/200MB. Strange, but I'm just happy I can finally turn down the Chorus a little bit!

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this thread might be helpful if someone else Googles the same problem in the future.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:03 am

gtmellsop wrote:Thanks for following up. The first time I disabled everything except H7S, that included every compressor as well and it didn't solve it. There is no lag when editing other more 'beefy' plugins while the project is playing back smoothly with no disruption, and this is when I also have 15 Chrome tabs open (I didn't have anything other than FL Studio open when I did the original 'stress test')

But, somehow H7S is working perfectly again! I ran into an error message when I tried to switch to my Focusrite driver as you asked. So, I unplugged my USB interface, deleted the drivers, and plugged it back in. It didn't solve my driver problem, but for some reason it seems to have fixed all of my H7S problems, hopefully forever. Also, the very same project (no alterations at all, everything enabled) is now sitting at about 20% CPU and 100MB RAM instead of 30%/200MB. Strange, but I'm just happy I can finally turn down the Chorus a little bit!

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this thread might be helpful if someone else Googles the same problem in the future.

That's very nice to hear!
Thank you for your report and please feel free to let us know if you need any further support. ;)

Return to “Questions”