about the future of OwnTHD

miounte

about the future of OwnTHD

Postby miounte » Sun May 01, 2022 10:05 pm

I was wondering if OwnTHD is going to receive updates and support in the future beyond its current state. I have recently been looking into Kirchhoff EQ and read this excerpt discussing the mindset used to develop Kirchhoff EQ's hardware modelling, stating "Personally, I like preamp plugins to use numerical integrations [to emulate the non-linear distortion of the hardware], but don’t like EQ plugins to use it." going on to say that Kirchhoff EQ uses linear models, and therefore has no distortion, in its emulations, leaving distortion and saturation to be found elsewhere. I then found OwnTHD under the product list and realized how greatly it sits with that idea. OwnTHD does standalone saturation, mimicking the nonlinear distortion of many famous hardware models with new parameters not originally adjustable in those units, as well as having the characteristics of other circuitry like tube or solid-state to be personally mixed in. With Kirchhoff, hell, even without Kirchhoff, this could have been a ridiculously powerful, versatile, and cheap alternative to hardware emulation plugins and a one-stop shop for saturation if it got the same attention to detail Kirchhoff did. Despite this, however, the plugin has barely received any attention at all since its release in 2018, and I was wondering what the future looked like for the plugin and if it was just dropped as a project altogether. As far as I can tell, the plugin has received one update in its lifespan from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0, and I can't find what for. I'm okay with it taking a back foot as the support for Kirchhoff takes priority, especially if the thought process was "I like saturation and EQ to be separate, so let's make an insane EQ too," leading to the flight of Kirchhoff, and I don't know what you guys were doing between now and the release of OwnTHD that has led to this, but I think the plugin has a very bright future. So I want to know what'll happen to it. Will it get the Kirchhoff treatment with proper support? And I don't mean, "yeah sure it's on the list of things to do" I mean real, proper care. Actual goals with deadlines. I would 100% buy this plugin if I knew it would get the care it deserves, and I think it could stand out so much if it was out there with the same levels of perfection Kirchhoff is getting. So, please- are there any plans for this plugin at all?
admin
Site Admin

Re: about the future of OwnTHD

Postby admin » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:07 am

miounte wrote:I was wondering if OwnTHD is going to receive updates and support in the future beyond its current state. I have recently been looking into Kirchhoff EQ and read this excerpt discussing the mindset used to develop Kirchhoff EQ's hardware modelling, stating "Personally, I like preamp plugins to use numerical integrations [to emulate the non-linear distortion of the hardware], but don’t like EQ plugins to use it." going on to say that Kirchhoff EQ uses linear models, and therefore has no distortion, in its emulations, leaving distortion and saturation to be found elsewhere. I then found OwnTHD under the product list and realized how greatly it sits with that idea. OwnTHD does standalone saturation, mimicking the nonlinear distortion of many famous hardware models with new parameters not originally adjustable in those units, as well as having the characteristics of other circuitry like tube or solid-state to be personally mixed in. With Kirchhoff, hell, even without Kirchhoff, this could have been a ridiculously powerful, versatile, and cheap alternative to hardware emulation plugins and a one-stop shop for saturation if it got the same attention to detail Kirchhoff did. Despite this, however, the plugin has barely received any attention at all since its release in 2018, and I was wondering what the future looked like for the plugin and if it was just dropped as a project altogether. As far as I can tell, the plugin has received one update in its lifespan from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0, and I can't find what for. I'm okay with it taking a back foot as the support for Kirchhoff takes priority, especially if the thought process was "I like saturation and EQ to be separate, so let's make an insane EQ too," leading to the flight of Kirchhoff, and I don't know what you guys were doing between now and the release of OwnTHD that has led to this, but I think the plugin has a very bright future. So I want to know what'll happen to it. Will it get the Kirchhoff treatment with proper support? And I don't mean, "yeah sure it's on the list of things to do" I mean real, proper care. Actual goals with deadlines. I would 100% buy this plugin if I knew it would get the care it deserves, and I think it could stand out so much if it was out there with the same levels of perfection Kirchhoff is getting. So, please- are there any plans for this plugin at all?

Dear miounte,

Thank you so much for your support and your words!

As you know OwnTHD was released years ago. We then moved on to Kirchhoff-EQ and multiple new projects until now.
We do know OwnTHD is a good product which is worth more support and popularity, especially when users telling us it can make a great combination with Kirchhoff.
Yet we are not a big team. We are short of hands for keeping our whole lineup up-to-date while we always trying to explore new fields of sound technology.

At the beginning, our target for Kirchhoff is to make it the best and the most comprehensive clean EQ that everyone would ever need.
We keep receiving suggestions from users every day since its release. One of the most requested features among them is saturation.
So why we have to persist on "clean EQ" instead of using what we learnt from OwnTHD to make Kirchhoff even better?

All in all, currently we can't promise you any plans for OwnTHD, but we will consider to make Kirchhoff-EQ a more powerful product by implementing saturation in the future.
It'll be a long way to the top and this is just one of tons of our plans for Kirchhoff. We hope to have your understanding and patience.
Please stay tuned for more exciting news about Kirchhoff! :)

Return to “Questions”