BUG: Plugin GUI freezes DAW when minimized on my 2nd display (FL Studio 21)

Raapha

BUG: Plugin GUI freezes DAW when minimized on my 2nd display (FL Studio 21)

Postby Raapha » Fri May 26, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi! :)

I've been a happy Kirchhoff EQ user for a while now and still is.
While there's been a few quirks since I got my hands on it, some of them got addressed while one still persists.

Kirchhoff EQ's GUI tends to glitch out. If I minimize it while dragged out above halfway or entirely to the right side of the primary display that links to my 2nd display, it will freeze the DAW when I try to minimize or close it. :(

If i minimize it and open/close it within the boundaries of my primary display (as in, all Kirchhoff EQ Gui's pixels is visible, not hidden outside boundaries of the primary display),
it works fine.

If i disable the 2nd display, Kirchhoff EQ works fine and doesn't glitch out after being minimized and opened while out of boundaries of the right side, or any side of primary display.

Kirchhoff EQ does not glitch if I minimize and open inside boundaries of the main display, while the 2nd display is active.

Kirchhoff EQ is the only plugin that've done this to me out of all plugins I have. I can't even save my work when this happens. :cry:

I'm running on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
16GB Dual-Channel DDR4 by Corsair

And 2 screens connected:
1. BenQ XL2420T (1920x1080@120Hz)
2. BenQ GW2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)

Have you gotten similar reports about this? Is there anything I can do to help addressing this issue?

My grammar may not be perfect. I'll do my best to address anything that seems unclear.

*I've also tested with 60hz on both displays, problem still occurs.
*See the attachments below

Sincerely,
A Kirchhoff EQ fan.
Attachments
2.png
2.png (987.62 KiB) Viewed 12892 times
1.png
1.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 12892 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: BUG: Plugin GUI freezes DAW when minimized on my 2nd display (FL Studio 21)

Postby admin » Tue May 30, 2023 10:35 am

Raapha wrote:Hi! :)

I've been a happy Kirchhoff EQ user for a while now and still is.
While there's been a few quirks since I got my hands on it, some of them got addressed while one still persists.

Kirchhoff EQ's GUI tends to glitch out. If I minimize it while dragged out above halfway or entirely to the right side of the primary display that links to my 2nd display, it will freeze the DAW when I try to minimize or close it. :(

If i minimize it and open/close it within the boundaries of my primary display (as in, all Kirchhoff EQ Gui's pixels is visible, not hidden outside boundaries of the primary display),
it works fine.

If i disable the 2nd display, Kirchhoff EQ works fine and doesn't glitch out after being minimized and opened while out of boundaries of the right side, or any side of primary display.

Kirchhoff EQ does not glitch if I minimize and open inside boundaries of the main display, while the 2nd display is active.

Kirchhoff EQ is the only plugin that've done this to me out of all plugins I have. I can't even save my work when this happens. :cry:

I'm running on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
16GB Dual-Channel DDR4 by Corsair

And 2 screens connected:
1. BenQ XL2420T (1920x1080@120Hz)
2. BenQ GW2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)

Have you gotten similar reports about this? Is there anything I can do to help addressing this issue?

My grammar may not be perfect. I'll do my best to address anything that seems unclear.

*I've also tested with 60hz on both displays, problem still occurs.
*See the attachments below

Sincerely,
A Kirchhoff EQ fan.

Hello Raapha,

Thank you so much for supporting Kirchhoff-EQ, and sending this report to us!

We tested Kirchhoff in latest FL Studio on our PC with multiple screens, but could not reproduce this issue.
Is it possible that you can also record a video so that we can directly know what specific operation leads to the crash?
Your description is very detailed and easy to understand but we would like to know whether we were operating completely the same as you.

Although we were not able to reproduce the crash, it looks like a OpenGL conflict with the GPU driver.
Please try updating your GPU driver to the latest version.

You can also reach out to us with the video via email. Our support email: support@threebodytech.com
Thanks again for your time and we look forward to helping you enjoy Kirchhoff-EQ!

Best regards,
Three-Body Tech Team
Raapha

Postby Raapha » Tue May 30, 2023 2:19 pm

admin wrote:
Hello Raapha,

Thank you so much for supporting Kirchhoff-EQ, and sending this report to us!

We tested Kirchhoff in latest FL Studio on our PC with multiple screens, but could not reproduce this issue.
Is it possible that you can also record a video so that we can directly know what specific operation leads to the crash?
Your description is very detailed and easy to understand but we would like to know whether we were operating completely the same as you.

Although we were not able to reproduce the crash, it looks like a OpenGL conflict with the GPU driver.
Please try updating your GPU driver to the latest version.

You can also reach out to us with the video via email. Our support email: support@threebodytech.com
Thanks again for your time and we look forward to helping you enjoy Kirchhoff-EQ!

Best regards,
Three-Body Tech Team

Thank you for the response! I've sent a mail. :)
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:15 am

I just purchased the plugin and I have the exact same issue with the exact same set of works/crashes scenarios you described.
I also tried loading it as either VST or a VST3 plugin but it didn't change anything.
So, I'm very nervous about using the plugin because I'm bound to forget to move my DAW onto my small primary display before opening the plugin.
If I do forget, that crash will cause me to loose my work (Adobe Audition crash recovery never works).

I use Adobe Audition v24.0.3 (latest) as my DAW.
My nvidia drivers are the latest available.

System Info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ALANS-LAPTOP
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware m15 R6
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0A73
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.24.0, 8/7/2023
SMBIOS Version 3.3
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Alienware
BaseBoard Product 0TWG37
BaseBoard Version A01
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.2506"
User Name Alans-Laptop\theKo
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 33.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.18 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection On
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:15 pm

UPDATE:
I had posted that my workaround was to move my DAW to my primary monitor before opening the EQ but it turns out that Windows will still sometimes draw the EQ on the secondary display anyway (and, therefore, crash the DAW).
So, the real workaround is to unplug the secondary monitor each time before opening the EQ and then reconnecting the secondary monitor. After that, you can move the EQ to either monitor without issue. It's just the opening of the EQ that must be done via the workaround.
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:20 am

Ooooo ... Ouch!
There is one more part of the workaround that needs mentioning. Don't ever save your project in your DAW with the EQ plugin *open*.
Even if I open the project with my secondary monitor unplugged, the EQ plugin might be drawn to the screen with some portion of it extending off the L or R side of the primary screen.
That's apparently enough to put the plugin in the crashed state, too (and, consequently, your DAW).
That's a bad scenario since you can no longer open your project at all.
MayhemTL

Postby MayhemTL » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:35 am

So found this thread as I was experiencing a similar issue. And conveniently I think I found a fix.

Firstly, my issue was that when I would load projects, the gui would be frozen. I would not be able to see any display moving. It won't let me move any nodes. Nothing. Although, it does seem to still be processing the sound. So as mentioned, it appears to be a OpenGL/GPU issue.

The other caveat to my issue, is it seems to only happen on older projects of mine originally in a previous version of the DAW. Any new projects, reloading them later, the issue does not seem to happen, so there might be something there as well.

Anyways, I seem to have found a fix for my issue and thankfully, simple.

I went to the settings/cog wheel in the top right of the plugin -> Global Tab at the top -> Then it should just show the "spectrum refresh rate". I simple just moved that and it seemed to totally reset the gui and everything is back how it should be. And the bonus, it fixes all instances of the plugin.

Hopefully this helps some of you. Cheers.

Return to “Suggestions”