Strumming engine bug? (hope this is the right place for this)

Tremendouz

Strumming engine bug? (hope this is the right place for this)

Postby Tremendouz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 am

I noticed a possible bug when trying chords: if I play a chord with 2 notes the strum works as it should. But if I play a chord with 3 notes (for example power chord) it seems like the 2 lowest notes play at the exact same time and only the 3rd note is delayed properly.

If I play a chord with 4 notes it seems that the 2 lowest notes are played at the same time and only the highest 2 notes are delayed.

Chord with 5 notes: only 2 highest ones delayed properly.

This doesn't happen with all the chords (I tried many random ones and they seem to often work well) but it seems to always happen with power chords (the root and the 5th are played at the same time and only the octave is delayed)

I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug or a feature of the strumming engine but I wanted to let you know so you can take a look at it and possibly fix it. The power chords don't currently sound right to my ear so I'm thinking this is a bug. I haven't tried deleting and reinstalling the VSTi yet (that's something I'd rather not do).

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Strumming engine bug? (hope this is the right place for this)

Postby admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:04 am

hi Tremendouz! Thank you to let us know this,
We will do a quick test and once we find it is a bug we will fix it as soon as soon as possible.
TBT_Cybele

Postby TBT_Cybele » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 am

Ok, we found this problem. We can say it's a bug or it's a function. Please let us illustrate: When we start strumming, the pick will touch strings one by one. The interval each string triggers is different. We tried to simulate this kind of different interval. In our countless tests, we found that the former intervals are small and the later intervals are larger. Depending on this we set the internal parameter according to this phenomenon. Maybe it is the difference between our objective feelings that made you feel inconvenient when you used our product. On this issue, our team need to discuss to see if we release a hotfix to "fix" this problem or we open the strumming parameter for users to adjust. This do need some time but we will try to come out a satisfied answer for you.

Besides, can you export a short strumming audio clip about this issue? If it's ok for you, please send it to our email: support@threebodytech.com

Thanks for your question.
Tremendouz

Postby Tremendouz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I set the strumming speed to be as slow as possible and I couldn't hear/see any delay between the low notes but there was a very noticeable delay before the last notes. It also didn't happen with all chords so I'm thinking it's unwanted behaviour.

I'll send an audio clip as soon as possible, thanks for reply.

edit: I sent both a video file with sound and a slowed-down audio clip.
jiandingzhe

Postby jiandingzhe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Tremendouz wrote:I set the strumming speed to be as slow as possible and I couldn't hear/see any delay between the low notes but there was a very noticeable delay before the last notes. It also didn't happen with all chords so I'm thinking it's unwanted behaviour.

I'll send an audio clip as soon as possible, thanks for reply.

edit: I sent both a video file with sound and a slowed-down audio clip.

We have received your email. Thanks for a lot!
Tremendouz

Postby Tremendouz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Great!

By the way, about letting users to adjust parameters: I know some guys who use guitar VSTis and the general concensus seems to be "the more parameters can be adjusted the better"
TBT_Cybele

Postby TBT_Cybele » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 am

Tremendouz wrote:Great!

By the way, about letting users to adjust parameters: I know some guys who use guitar VSTis and the general concensus seems to be "the more parameters can be adjusted the better"

Yea, we have received~ We have already had plan to solve the problem you raised. Please keep patient. :P
TBT_cmonKey

Postby TBT_cmonKey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Tremendouz, We have discovered and fixed this issue. just need some time to make some other Improvements.
1.1 version of Heavier7Strings will release very soon! Maybe in next week if everything goes well.
TBT_Cybele

Postby TBT_Cybele » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:18 am

Hi Tremendouz!

I have a good news for you! The whole last week I was fixing this bug and it still ran like this...
but after one more 48 hours, I finally fixed it! It's sooo simple that I can't believe it could be worng before!
It‘s because we put a random offset on each string when strumming, some string delayed, some went forward,
but somehow all the strings just went forward with no delay! It caused they sounded simultaneously.

It's not easy to devolope an pro audio software. Sometimes we debugged not by unit tests but by our ears. and people's ears usually made mistakes.
We apologize for that and thanks for your insistance!
Wish you wouls like the version 1.1 !
Tremendouz

Postby Tremendouz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Good to hear, can't wait for the update!

Return to “Questions”